Thursday, February 7, 2008

Then and now -Alaichikhop and Chota Bhalukhop

5 months have elapsed since "the silent disaster" of Sep2007 and we have another 3 months (Feb to April) before the monsoons hit us again..
In this series, I will post photos of landslides (taken earlier after the landslides) and photos of the same area, taken approximately from the same spot 5months later. To be fair, I will also post photos of any preventive work which has taken place around the affected areas and maybe a short interview with any of the local people available.
You be the judge and see how much preventive work has has taken place. (I will post photos from spots in and around Kalimpong where I live, but I am pretty much sure the story is the same elsewhere in the district.)

I have visited Alaichikhop many, many times since Sep2007, primarily because it is so close. The huge landslide there nudges the flanks of Kalimpong town and threatens a densely populated area as well as perhaps the oldest/most famous landmark of Kalimpong, the Mcfarlane Memorial Church.
All the "Then" photographs below are from my earlier blog (refer 23Sep2007 entry- "The silent disaster"). The "Now" photographs are from a few days ago; and also include slide 5 and 6 which shows the populated area under threat.

From "then" to "now" I have not seen a single stone being moved to decrease the hazard in this area.








praful rao

No comments: